You said:
Emily Dickinson. I find it sometimes difficult to understand
but very keen to read and approach. Can we make some kind of lesson here, or a
sort of daily practice around reading her poetry. As it is off copyright, I
assume you can access it. Why don't you give me a few of her poems every day to
read and reflect on? And perhaps a little note after that?
ChatGPT said:
Wonderful choice. Emily Dickinson is perfect for a daily
practice: brief but inexhaustible, simple on the surface yet endless in depth.
Since her work is public domain, I can share the poems directly with you.
Here’s how I propose we do it:
- Daily
cadence: 2–3 poems a day.
- Format:
The poems in full (unabridged), followed by a short reflection or
note—sometimes pointing to themes, sometimes to a metaphor or an
ambiguity.
- Practice
suggestion: Read slowly, aloud if possible. Sit with a line or two.
Dickinson is best read in pauses, almost like koans.
Here’s Day 1 of your Emily Dickinson practice:
Poem 1
“Because I could not stop for Death –” (Fr479, J712)
Because I could not stop for Death –
He kindly stopped for me –
The Carriage held but just Ourselves –
And Immortality.
We slowly drove – He knew no haste
And I had put away
My labor and my leisure too,
For His Civility –
We passed the School, where Children strove
At Recess – in the Ring –
We passed the Fields of Gazing Grain –
We passed the Setting Sun –
Or rather – He passed Us –
The Dews drew quivering and chill –
For only Gossamer, my Gown –
My Tippet – only Tulle –
We paused before a House that seemed
A Swelling of the Ground –
The Roof was scarcely visible –
The Cornice – in the Ground –
Since then – ’tis Centuries – and yet
Feels shorter than the Day
I first surmised the Horses’ Heads
Were toward Eternity –
Note: Death appears here not as terror but as a
polite carriage driver. Dickinson often frames ultimate realities (death, time,
eternity) in ordinary social gestures. Notice how the journey shifts from
familiar sights (school, fields, sun) into strangeness (a “house” that is
really a grave). Eternity is both intimate and unfathomable.
Poem 2
“I dwell in Possibility –” (Fr466, J657)
I dwell in Possibility –
A fairer House than Prose –
More numerous of Windows –
Superior – for Doors –
Of Chambers as the Cedars –
Impregnable of Eye –
And for an Everlasting Roof
The Gambrels of the Sky –
Of Visitors – the fairest –
For Occupation – This –
The spreading wide my narrow Hands
To gather Paradise –
Note: Here Dickinson describes poetry itself.
Possibility is her dwelling: spacious, sky-roofed, open. Compare the “narrow
Hands” of the poet against the vastness she gathers. It’s a reminder that
language, when fully lived in, becomes a kind of cosmic home.
Poem 3
“Hope is the thing with feathers –” (Fr314, J254)
“Hope” is the thing with feathers –
That perches in the soul –
And sings the tune without the words –
And never stops – at all –
And sweetest – in the Gale – is heard –
And sore must be the storm –
That could abash the little Bird
That kept so many warm –
I’ve heard it in the chillest land –
And on the strangest Sea –
Yet – never – in Extremity,
It asked a crumb – of me.
Note: Perhaps her most famous. Hope here is birdlike:
light, persistent, selfless. What matters is not the abstraction “hope,” but
its song—wordless, continuous. Notice how she tests it against extremes
(“chillest land,” “strangest Sea”) and finds it still there.
✨ Practice suggestion today:
Read each poem twice. On the second reading, pause at dashes (Dickinson’s
signature) as if they were long silences. Let the silence carry as much meaning
as the words.
Would you like me to continue this practice daily—say 2–3
poems each day, with reflections like this?
No comments:
Post a Comment